Wikipedia: The term “gaslighting describes someone (a “gaslighter”) who puts forth a false narrative that leads others to doubt their own perceptions.
It was the fundamental plotline of the movie, “Gaslight.”
Over the years, there have been several comedic movies in which a character caught cheating by his wife, brazenly looks up and says to her, “Are you going to believe me or your eyes?”
This dynamic is generally only possible when the audience is vulnerable such as in unequal power relationships or when the audience is fearful of the losses associated with challenging the false narrative.
Donald Trump, and more recently his current Republican Party, have been gaslighting the American public for many years. They do it by denying the obvious, i.e denying what you see before your own eyes.
The psychology is that if brazen deniers of fact deny often enough and forcefully enough, the weaker-minded among us will come to believe their own senses are wrong and that the deniers must be right.
Eventually, the weakest-minded join the ranks of deniers and become inadvertent gaslighters, themselves.
Here are just a few of the truths Trump and his Republican Party deny, despite all evidence. When you hear or read these denials, understand the deniers are trying to gaslight you.
No President and political party in American history have been so focused on gaslighting America as has Trump and the GOP. Whether you believe them depends mostly on your confidence in your own senses and your understanding of the facts.
Trump and the GOP have denied and/or continue to deny that:
- Climate change exists
- Human-caused climate change exists
- Climate change is a serious problem
- Poverty is a national problem, not the fault of the impoverished.
- Slavery was a serious historical problem
- Police focus negatively and unfairly on people of color
- Police are needlessly killing people of color
- Biden won the Presidential election
- Biden was elected, fairly
- Trump has no evidence of election fraud
- Masks help prevent sickening from COVID
- Vaccines help prevent sickening from COVID
- Masks help prevent the transmission of COVID
- COVID vaccines are safe
- COVID vaccines help prevent the transmission of COVID
- Trump is a pathological liar
- Trump encouraged an attempted coup.
- There was an attempted coup
- Trump tried to steal the Presidential election
- The Republican Party continues to try to steal elections
- Trump has surrounded himself with criminals
- Trump has surrounded himself with incompetent sycophants
- Trump is a massive liar
- Trump cheated on all three wives
- Trump cheated employees and lenders
- Trump cheated on his taxes
- The Trump Foundation was a scam
- Trump cheated students in his Trump University
- Trump molested many women
- Trump is a psychopath
- Social Security, Medicare, and all other federal agencies never can become insolvent.
- The U.S. Supreme Court is dominated by biased, right-wing, partisan political hacks.
- Republican-dominated states are trying to prevent people of color from voting.
- Trump and the Republican Party are fascists
Fox “News,” Breitbart, the numerous nutsy conspiracy blogs all attempt to gaslight you on behalf of Trump and the GOP.
But gaslighting is not limited to COVID.
Gaslighting touches all aspects of your life, and always is done to benefit some power group, usually the very rich. They never will stop, so long as they are successful.
Whether they continue to succeed depends on you and your psychological strength. It depends on your weakly yielding to gaslighting, and refusing to believe the facts right in front of you.
You, your children, and the future of America are at risk from the gaslighters.
Rodger Malcolm Mitchell
Facebook: Rodger Malcolm Mitchell
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF GOVERNMENT IS TO IMPROVE AND PROTECT THE LIVES OF THE PEOPLE.
The most important problems in economics involve:
- Monetary Sovereignty describes money creation and destruction.
- Gap Psychology describes the common desire to distance oneself from those “below” in any socio-economic ranking, and to come nearer those “above.” The socio-economic distance is referred to as “The Gap.”
Wide Gaps negatively affect poverty, health and longevity, education, housing, law and crime, war, leadership, ownership, bigotry, supply and demand, taxation, GDP, international relations, scientific advancement, the environment, human motivation and well-being, and virtually every other issue in economics. Implementation of Monetary Sovereignty and The Ten Steps To Prosperity can grow the economy and narrow the Gaps:
Ten Steps To Prosperity:
- Eliminate FICA
- Federally funded Medicare — parts A, B & D, plus long-term care — for everyone
- Social Security for all
- Free education (including post-grad) for everyone
- Salary for attending school
- Eliminate federal taxes on business
- Increase the standard income tax deduction, annually.
- Tax the very rich (the “.1%”) more, with higher progressive tax rates on all forms of income.
- Federal ownership of all banks
- Increase federal spending on the myriad initiatives that benefit America’s 99.9%
The Ten Steps will grow the economy and narrow the income/wealth/power Gap between the rich and the rest.