We all tend to see what we want to see, but some — let’s call them “the Deniers” — are terrorized and incensed by the threat of truth.
Despite humanity’s comparatively massive intellect, the universe and its threats to life, are too big and too complex for us to comprehend. We know enough to be frustrated at how little we know.
Because we are under such stress, some of us search for solutions, and when scientific solutions are not to be found, or more commonly, are the liking of Deniers, they invent new “facts.”
If these new “facts” are physically impossible, that is less important to Deniers than if the impossible is emotionally satisfying.
Deniers detest science. They retreat to “alternative facts,” and nowhere is this more apparent than in today’s Republican Party, ground center for America’s denial, conspiracies, and myths.
The GOP seems to have become a quasi-religious cult, complete with a supernatural, superhero god — a deux ex machina — and political priests, who promise to save us, and all they ask of us is to deny reality.
Here are a few truths the new American Taliban (aka the Republican party) deny:
- Global warming is a real, imminent, and existential threat to humanity. It is caused by the production of greenhouse gases,
- The pollution and destruction of nature also are real, imminent, and existential threats to humanity, and also are within our ability to cure.
- Trump attempted a coup — a forcible takeover of the American government. To foster this coup, he consistently lies about the election being “stolen” or “rigged.”
- Donald Trump lied about COVID and continues to lie about COVID, and these lies contributed to the 300,000+ American deaths. In a true sense, Trump is the greatest mass murderer in American history.
- Trump no longer is President. He was voted out in a fair and honest election, by a huge, 7 million vote majority. Despite what QAnon and the other conspiracy websites claim, Hillary Clinton does not eat children in the basement of a pizzeria; Trump is not anointed by God, nor will he ascend to the Presidency last/this/next month.
- Children can and do sicken and die from COVID. Denier governors, like those from Florida and Texas, who outlaw attempts to enforce mask-wearing, are complicit in the sickness and deaths of American adults and children.
- Masks work. They help prevent the transmission of airborne diseases.
- Masks do not reduce anyone’s breathing — not children’s, adult’s, or even those who have breathing problems. Masks do not lower oxygen saturation, increase CO2, or enable bacterial growth.
- Vaccination not only helps prevent people from dying, but it is remarkably safe. That is true not only of the COVID vaccines, but also true of the vaccines for, Chickenpox, Diphtheria, Influenza, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Haemophilus Influenza type b, Human Papillomavirus, Measles, Meningococcal, Mumps, Pneumococcal, Poliomyelitis, Rotavirus, German Measles, Shingles, Tetanus, and Whooping Cough, many of which are required for children.
- Additionally, vaccinations are proven effective for preventing the sickness and death from Adenovirus, Anthrax, Cholera, Japanese Encephalitis, Rabies, Smallpox, Tuberculosis, Typhoid Fever, and Yellow Fever
- All 50 states and DC require various forms of vaccination for kindergarten entry. Objections to the COVID vaccination are based on ignorance, denial, and right-wing loyalties, not on science.
- Requiring vaccination and/or masks does not infringe on anyone’s freedom. The Constitution does not permit unlimited freedom. All laws restrict freedom. Thus, you cannot drive too fast, put your children in safety seats, You must purchase a license to fish, hunt, carry a gun, drive a car, open a store, etc. You must be of a certain age to purchase cigarettes and alcohol, to marry, to sign a contract. You must be of a certain size to ride in certain amusement park rides. You must obey thousands of laws, all of which impinge on someone’s “freedom,” but are necessary for a functioning democracy. Mask mandates help preserve human life.
- Donald Trump is a compulsive liar and a cheater. He cheated on his taxes and on his wives. He cheated his employees, his lenders, and those who attended Trump University. He cheated on his draft deferment, his school grades, and his “charitable” foundation.
- Fox “News” has admitted to being an entertainment vehicle, and not a news vehicle, and its commentators are entertainers, not providers of facts.
- The U.S. government, being Monetarily Sovereign, has the unlimited ability to create its own sovereign currency, the U.S. dollar, which gives it the unique and infinite ability to spend without collecting taxes or borrowing.
- The U.S. government has the infinite power to narrow the Gap between the rich and the rest. Contrary to political claims, the so-called federal “debt” and “deficit” are not burdens on the government or on present or future taxpayers. The federal government could fund Medicare for All, Social Security for All, College for All for those who want it, modernize the infrastructure, cure poverty, and support the myriad types of research — all without collecting a single dollar in taxes.
The beliefs in myth, conspiracy, and magic have plagued the Republican Party for decades, but have increased markedly during the Trump “science-and-truth-be-damned” years.
Today, we have believers so hypnotized that they attack mask-wearers, whose only crime is to try to protect themselves and others. One cannot help but think of the Taliban, who behead any who speak truth.
In short, the GOP has become the Party of Deniers, the Party of Myth, the Party of Anti-science.
This normally would not be too problematic for a minority sect, which is exactly what the Republicans are, but that minority sect has gerrymandered the nation and taken the levers of power, until today, we are on the verge of being ruled by insanity.
The Republicans, in fact, have become America’s Taliban.
–NEWS: Miami School Superintendent Wrecks Ron DeSantis For Failing Kids —
Hospitalizations with COVID-19 have risen quickly and substantially across Florida — and pediatric patients have been among those hospitalized — but even amid the ongoing surge of what’s known as the delta variant of the virus, DeSantis has refused to relent in his opposition to certain basic safety measures.
DeSantis and his team have promoted the idea that they could withhold certain state funding — including, specifically, the salaries for superintendents and school board members — in the event of the imposition of a mask mandate, but Carvalho indicated to the governor that he’s not backing down.
Rodger Malcolm Mitchell
Facebook: Rodger Malcolm Mitchell
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF GOVERNMENT IS TO IMPROVE AND PROTECT THE LIVES OF THE PEOPLE.
The most important problems in economics involve:
- Monetary Sovereignty describes money creation and destruction.
- Gap Psychology describes the common desire to distance oneself from those “below” in any socio-economic ranking, and to come nearer those “above.” The socio-economic distance is referred to as “The Gap.”
Wide Gaps negatively affect poverty, health and longevity, education, housing, law and crime, war, leadership, ownership, bigotry, supply and demand, taxation, GDP, international relations, scientific advancement, the environment, human motivation and well-being, and virtually every other issue in economics. Implementation of Monetary Sovereignty and The Ten Steps To Prosperity can grow the economy and narrow the Gaps:
Ten Steps To Prosperity:
- Eliminate FICA
- Federally funded Medicare — parts A, B & D, plus long-term care — for everyone
- Social Security for all
- Free education (including post-grad) for everyone
- Salary for attending school
- Eliminate federal taxes on business
- Increase the standard income tax deduction, annually.
- Tax the very rich (the “.1%”) more, with higher progressive tax rates on all forms of income.
- Federal ownership of all banks
- Increase federal spending on the myriad initiatives that benefit America’s 99.9%
The Ten Steps will grow the economy and narrow the income/wealth/power Gap between the rich and the rest.