Facts never are as persuasive as beliefs
To progressives, America’s massive support for Donald Trump and the Republican Party is a mystery. They point to:
- Trump’s incessant lying and insulting of all who may disagree with him or fail to worship him
- His tax dodging
- His draft dodging and insulting of the military
- His cheating of innocent employees
- His cheating of students at his fake “university.”
- His unfaithfulness to his three wives and cohabitation with prostitutes
- His incompetence and denials regarding the COVID-19 pandemic
- His incompetence and denials regarding global warming
- His anti-poor, pro-rich tax efforts.
- His false claims to repeal and replace ACA (Obamacare)
- His repeated employment and firing of incompetent advisors
- His bigotry and cruelty to all non-whites
- His limited ability and desire to read
- His psychopathy
- His laziness and endless golfing
- His unabashed nepotism
- His flirtations with ruthless dictators while insulting allies.
- His failure to honor treaties, thus hurting America’s reputation abroad
- His endless boasting and false claims about mythical achievements and attributes
- His continuing, traitorous attempts to overthrow the U.S. government and denial of democracy
- His using the Bible as a prop, while never attending church
- His multiple bankruptcies that cheated innocent lenders and demonstrated business incompetence
To the progressive eye, Donald Trump obviously not only is the most inferior of all past Presidents but equally obvious, he is an active threat to America.
And yet, in the most recent election, more than 70 million Americans, many claiming to be religious, patriotic, and concerned with morals, gave him their vote. Some even were people of color, whom Trump has made no secret of despising.
The mystery of Trump’s support may seem intractable, but there are several solutions to that mystery. First, let us discuss white American Christians, as they are his largest support group.
Despite all logic, a great number, perhaps the majority of white Americans feel victimized and under threat. Some of their beliefs can be summarized by words I personally have heard:
- “They” (blacks and orientals) are given all the advantages in college. They get accepted despite having poor high school grades, and they are not flunked out for having poor test scores. They take the places of deserving white kids, and most of them don’t even pay tuition. If you’re white, it’s tough to get into good colleges.
- The blacks commit most of the crime, but the police are afraid to touch them. The gang bangers all have guns, but any time a black thug gets shot, there are riots, with the BLM rioters looting and burning. Look at Portland. If the so-called “white supremacists” did that, they’d be locked up for the rest of their lives. BLM just gets a tap on the wrist, so they can go out and do it again.
- The Mexicans are a bunch of illiterate criminals, who take our jobs at low pay. That’s why white working men can’t find jobs and white women aren’t safe.
- All the blacks and Mexicans want are free government benefits: Free food, free rent, free school, free healthcare — and I’m paying for it with my taxes.
- Most of the Muslims really hate America.
- Jews want to run the world. Look at George Soros.
- The real danger to America is Antifa
Never mind that the facts disagree. Never mind that white Christianity, though declining in numbers, still is the dominant group in America — dominant in business, dominant in politics, dominant in almost every aspect of American life.
And never mind the 240+ years of pain the American whites have laid on the backs of people of color. Facts never are as persuasive as beliefs, and the widespread belief is that “they” (immigrants and people of color) are “taking over,” and “Donald Trump is fighting for us white Christians.”
This falls into the category of “The enemy of my enemy is my friend.”
The belief that Donald Trump, with all his warts, fights for white Christian America, is enough to sway millions of voters who otherwise would find such a man repugnant. As a hate-monger, Trump has helped make white America afraid to lose what they have, and resentful of those they see as receiving unfair favors.
But, one wonders, why do some people of color, the blacks, browns, and the yellows — and some Jews — support him?
To a great degree this support is a function of Gap Psychology — the desire to distance oneself from those below, on any social scale, and to come closer to those above.
Voting for a wealthy, successful white man, who as a “tough boss,” dominates everyone, especially women, is a cultural dream for his followers in the Latin and black communities. Trump’s insults and hate-mongering are perceived as strengths.
With their vote, Trump’s supporters obey Gap Psychology, by distancing themselves from their own cultural backgrounds and by coming nearer to Trump’s.
Many dictators have come into power by promising the people to protect them from the “others,” and by projecting the strength his followers do not themselves have. Hitler’s followers were not dissuaded by his hate- and fear-mongering, because he reflected their own attitudes. He fulfilled their own secret wishes.
Finally, as for the Jews, it came down to Trump’s seeming support for Israel against the hated Muslims, and his tax cuts. Had it not been for Ivanka’s marriage to a Jew, Trump would have been even more overt about his true hatred of Jews.
SUMMARY What Progressives view as Trump’s liabilities — his lying, blustering incompetence — white conservatives view as his assets — strength in his protection against nonwhites and aliens who are trying to “take over” America.
He follows the classic dictator’s handbook, first by branding certain groups as “outsiders,” then by claiming these outsiders are a danger that only he can defend against, and finally, by instilling fear of disagreeing with him, the one true leader.
It is a handbook followed through the centuries countless times, and only by the narrowest margins did America escape its myths in the past election. Yet, the battle continues, as it will for every nation on earth, forever.
History shows, the danger of the autocrat never will disappear because he/she casts himself as the last hope of the endangered.
Rodger Malcolm Mitchell [ Monetary Sovereignty, Twitter: @rodgermitchell, Search: #monetarysovereignty Facebook: Rodger Malcolm Mitchell ]
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF GOVERNMENT IS TO IMPROVE AND PROTECT THE LIVES OF THE PEOPLE. The most important problems in economics involve:
- Monetary Sovereignty describes money creation and destruction.
- Gap Psychology describes the common desire to distance oneself from those “below” in any socio-economic ranking, and to come nearer those “above.” The socio-economic distance is referred to as “The Gap.”
Wide Gaps negatively affect poverty, health and longevity, education, housing, law and crime, war, leadership, ownership, bigotry, supply and demand, taxation, GDP, international relations, scientific advancement, the environment, human motivation and well-being, and virtually every other issue in economics. Implementation of Monetary Sovereignty and The Ten Steps To Prosperity can grow the economy and narrow the Gaps: Ten Steps To Prosperity:
- Eliminate FICA
- Federally funded Medicare — parts A, B & D, plus long-term care — for everyone
- Social Security for all
- Free education (including post-grad) for everyone
- Salary for attending school
- Eliminate federal taxes on business
- Increase the standard income tax deduction, annually.
- Tax the very rich (the “.1%”) more, with higher progressive tax rates on all forms of income.
- Federal ownership of all banks
- Increase federal spending on the myriad initiatives that benefit America’s 99.9%
The Ten Steps will grow the economy and narrow the income/wealth/power Gap between the rich and the rest.
●Liberals think the purpose of government is to protect the poor and powerless from the rich and powerful. Conservatives think the purpose of government is to protect the rich and powerful from the poor and powerless.
●The more federal budgets are cut and taxes increased, the weaker an economy becomes
●Austerity is the government’s method for widening the gap between rich and poor.
●Until the 99% understand the need for federal deficits, the upper 1% will rule.
●To survive long term, a monetarily non-sovereign government must have a positive balance of payments.
●Those, who do not understand the differences between Monetary Sovereignty and monetary non-sovereignty, do not understand economics.
●Everything in economics devolves to motive, and the motive is the Gap. ==================================================================================================================================================================
8 thoughts on “The victimization of white, Christian Americans”
Here is the source of the fear:
The thought of not being part of an overwhelming majority is terrifying to some white Christians, despite their control over the reins of power in America.
Perhaps, knowing how they have treated minorities, all over the world, gives them a frightening picture about how they anticipate being treated in the future, as distant as that future may be.
Sadly, it is true of the human species, that the treatment of minorities often is brutal.
People, especially the brilliant media types, who figured Trump didn’t have a chance to win didn’t know what was going on under the surface. When he won it was like kicking over an anthill. We saw all the Trumper-ants and realized how dangerous the times are that we live in. The Trump presidency was a loud political wakeup call in the same way that pollution, disease, homelessness, unemployment, lawlessness and poverty are kicking our asses. Trump was just one more signal that we’re in big trouble. What’s next?
LikeLiked by 1 person
The problem with being stupid is you aren’t smart enough to realize how stupid you are. The problem with being smart is you still aren’t smart enough to realize how stupid you are.
“What’s next” is what always is next when it comes to humans and voting. That said, shall we now talk about juries?
Other than the “our tax money” & “money down a rabbit hole” misinformation, here’s decent coverage of another Trump scam now at the point of whittled-down nothingness:
(RMM covered this “sure to be fiasco” back in ’17.)
https://mythfighter.com/2019/10/25/oh-wisconsin-the-foxconn-gop-con-continues/ and https://mythfighter.com/2019/01/31/the-trump-foxconn/ and https://mythfighter.com/2017/09/15/who-put-the-con-in-wisconsin-foxconn-thats-who/ and https://mythfighter.com/2020/02/06/dumb-donald-and-the-foxconn-con/
Anyone could see this coming a light-year away. How do you think Trump managed to run not one, not two, but three (!) casinos into bankruptcy? No one bankrupts a casino, yet the great businessman con-artist did three.
Trump also has Machismo. Swinging Dicks get votes the world over. Even for Supreme Leaders whom are women. It might be an evolutionary thing that humans follow leaders whom are aggressive and have swagger?
Somehow, I never thought of that old tub of lard with the weird hair to be macho, but I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder
From the 4/27/2021 Chicago Tribune: